Lovely subject I know but excess ear wax can be a problem, especially if it turns into an ear infection. In one fell swoop, you can loosen and address infection simultaneously with trusty essential oils and something many of us already have in our pantry.
Did you know that earwax is a self-cleaning agent, with protective, lubricating and antibacterial properties? That’s why tiny glands in the outer ear canal constantly pump it out under normal circumstances. In a perfect world, excess earwax travels slowly out of the ear canal, carrying dirt, dust and other small particles with it. Sometimes overzealous hygiene or even excessive use of ear plugs and headphones can mess up this natural process so be very wary about poking around with cotton swabs, bobby pins and other gadgets. Ear wax can actually build up and block part of the ear canal and then we have a problem Houston.
Impacted earwax can cause hearing loss, ear infection, pressure, itching, ringing and discharge. Doctors and ear specialists are a bit baffled when it comes to recurring impaction but, some experts believe the problem could be due to an essential fatty acid deficiency. Supplementing with high-quality omega-3 like Krill oil might be just the ticket!
A tried and true home remedy for excess ear wax is the use of warmed olive oil in the ear canal. It softens the ceruman, allowing easier removal of excess ear wax. The softened wax comes out of the ear canal easily and can be wiped away with a soft cloth or tissue. Just know that initially, adding olive oil may feel like it’s causing more blockage because the wax softens and expands inside the ear. By adding pure essential oils with anti-microbial properties to warmed olive oil you’re enhancing everything! Whether you use a Cotton Ball Protocol or the drip method, you’ll be warding off infection and, going to work on the ear wax in partnership with the olive oil with the gentle anti-microbial Ear Blend.
- 4 drops Lavender essential oil
- 4 drops Thyme essential oil (substitutes are: Melaleuca or Basil)
- Organic olive oil ~ warmed to body temperature
- Organic cotton ball
- 1 dram glass dropper bottle
- EAR BLEND: Add essential oils to 1 dram dropper bottle, fill with organic olive oil.
- COTTON BALL PROTOCOL: Tear off a sufficient piece of cotton ball, dip and saturate with warmed ear blend. To warm the blend to body temp, place bottle under your arm for 5 minutes. Place
cottonball in blocked ear overnight each night until waxhas loosened and makes it'sway out of the ear canal.
- DRIP METHOD: Lie down on a bed or sofa with the affected ear towards the ceiling. Enlist a family member or friend to carefully place two to three drops of the solution into the ear (if you're solo, a hand mirror can be used). Let the blend sit for 7 to 10 minutes to loosen up the earwax and address any infection. Now, lay down in the opposite direction with the same ear on a towel covered pillow to drain. Usually after one use,
earis functioning better, but for stubborn wax it can take two to three protocols of the blend in the ear to get the wax buildup loosened. Remember, NEVER go after ear wax with a sharp tool or, stick a cotton swab in the ear canal. This action can push the was further into the canal and against the ear drum.
If you suffer from a more serious impaction or you can’t get good results at home, you may need to get the earwax removed by a doctor or ear specialist who can manually remove the wax using an otoscope and appropriate instruments. Young children can also benefit from this protocol because it’s so gentle and non-invasive.