Flying the friendly skies with EOs is easy, but there’s a few regulations and suggestions to be aware of when you wander!
Air travel isn’t what it used to be, there’s so many things to consider now. Slip ons or shoe laces. Socks or not. Check a bag. Carry on. Baggage weight. Trust me, getting your EOs on the plane is the easy part of this adventure!
TSA has a handy regulation for carry on bags called the 3-1-1 Liquids Rule. Basically, you can carry as many 5 or 15ml bottles that will fit in a 1 quart plastic zip top bag.
- 30 ml = 1 ounce
- 90 ml = 3 ounces
- Six 15 ml bottles = 90 ml = 3 ounces
- Eighteen 5 ml bottles = 90 ml = 3 ounces
As you can see, it makes sense to pack 5 ml bottles when possible for a wider variety of EOs. Personally, I keep a kit for travel because it comes with 7 singles and 3 blends in 5 ml bottles. Great variety, great price and you can keep refilling them for your travels as needed!
What about checked luggage?
You can pack as many EOs as you want to in luggage that you’ll be checking in with the airline. Word to the wise, always pack your EOs in sealed bags to prevent leakage and control strong aromas that might flag your luggage. FYI! There have been flights stopped on the runway due to a “strange” aroma in the cabin alerting flight attendants to investigate. Luckily, it was only essential oils being used as a hand sanitizer, a headache remedy etc. so be aware of this possibility when you consider using your EOs on a flight 🙂
Tips for the Wanderers!
1. If you know your ears might plug or, you’re traveling with a baby whose prone to plugged ears, ease the impending discomfort with a drop of Frankincense behind each ear. It’s super gentle and will help keep the inflammation at bay.
2. If you’re going abroad take along some EOs to help with Jet Lag! Eucalyptus and Peppermint dripped on a washcloth and placed on the floor of the shower is an amazing stimulant when hot water hits and sends fragrant steam into your lungs! Bring along a small jar of Dreamy Sleep Salve or Jeddy’s Salve to massage on your oh so tired feet at night for a good nights rest.
3. Carry Oregano or Thyme for parasitic possibilities. Best application in this case that’s “tried and true” for me is the NAVEL Protocol: Add 1 drop of essential oil or blend to a small amount of CW Naked Salve or carrier oil, massage directly in navel as needed.