I was having lunch with my sweet Mom and noticed a rather large gash on her forearm. There were broken blood vessels and just looked so sore and angry, all from bumping her arm against the kitchen countertop. As my beautiful Mom ages her skin is getting thinner and more susceptible to amplified reactions from simple bumps. Thin skin and slow healing can be a common occurrence for our aging loved ones because of poor circulation and reduced cell division in the dermal layer …and that’s the rub!
I should clarify that anyone can have thin skin or even circulation issues for various reasons. Thin skin can be a genetic trait or caused by too much sun exposure; ultraviolet rays can damage collagen in the dermal layer. My 30 yr old daughter has circulation issues, she was diagnosed with Reynaud’s and loses circulation in her hands and feet if exposed to cold temps as you can see in the photo. Yep, it’s pretty dramatic but the good news is, a topical application of key essential oils can help with poor circulation and even speed up healing process. This is for you Mom!
In my daughter’s case an application 2 to 3 drops of CW Rosemary with Naked Salve had blood circulating in no time. Take note of what CW Rosemary can do but if you need an alternative to Rosemary try CW Cypress or CW Black Pepper. Okay, back to my momma!
I have a lovely book by Stephanie L. Tourles; Hands on Healing Remedies that includes a chapter on Elder Care Concerns – this is my source for the Circulation Rub and I wholeheartedly agree with the author on her choices of Geranium and Rosemary for the following reasons…
– Geranium essential oil is considered a vulnerary which means it speeds up the healing process of wounds, cuts and incisions. It’s also hemostatic (speeds coagulation), coagulation helps prevent infection by blocking toxins from entering a wound and getting into the bloodstream, a potentially critical situation when caring for the elderly with weakened immunity. Geranium is also a circulatory EO and it exits the body during perspiration. Extra physical activity is usually the time when body odor becomes more apparent, but sweating actually releases the pleasant aroma of Geranium (ok, not everyone thinks the scent is pleasant). Moving on, I think this is a really nice benefit to consider, especially in hospice situations when someone is bedridden. Geranium is also anti-microbial and encourages regeneration of new cells! I’m convinced that Geranium is nearly perfect for young and aged skin and all those years between.
– Rosemary essential oil has the ability to relieve pain, treating headaches, muscle pains, rheumatism and even arthritis. Massaging the affected area that’s painful with rosemary can give quickly relieve the pain. Steamy baths with rosemary oil are also found to be effective for rheumatism. This EO has certain anti-inflammatory qualities too that make it good for relieving the pain from sprains and joint aches. Here we go! Rosemary is known to stimulate blood circulation, which can relieve pain and also aid in coagulation of wounds for faster healing and get this! By inhaling Rosemary, it can increase the strength of the immune system and help fight all of the diseases associated with free radicals, including cancer and heart disease.
- Add essential oils to a dropper or roller bottle and fill with
carrieroil of choice.
- Topical application 2x daily. Massage lightly into
skinif abrasion or bruise is present, with a little more vigor to get the circulation going if no wound is present. Always massage in a circular motion towards the heart.
- Very beneficial to get
circulationmoving in extremities. Start with feet or hands and massage upward.
- Caregivers: Make some for you too! This is a very nice blend for all skin types to tone and tighten!
Rosemary Geranium Circulation Rub can also be used as a massage oil for muscle soreness and strain. Anyone will revel in a foot or hand massage using this blend. Massage in a circular motion upwards towards the heart.
Find more Camp Wander Therapeutic Essential Oils, Salves, Serums and more HERE.
FREE shipping in the USA, no minimums.